Toyota 4Runner Overlanding in Colorado
Overland camping in a 4Runner is an exceptional experience. Those rugged vehicles can take you away from it all, but they can also carry enough gear to provide a few of your favorite creature comforts. From mini fridges to portable showers to rooftop tents and more, 4Runner owners are known for their ambitious camping plans and the gear to make those plans a reality.
If you are in a crash on your way to or from an overlanding adventure, and all your gear has been destroyed or damaged because of another driver’s negligence, you are going to need help. Call us. (877) 562-9425
Free Overlanding Crash Consultation:
We are overlanding accident lawyers who fight for your rights day in and day out. In our experience, any road accident with injuries requires aggressive attorneys in order to receive maximum compensation.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a collision, give us a call for a completely free, no-obligation consultation to find out if you have a case. We’re proud to give every single client the care and attention they deserve all while taking the stress of insurance phone calls and hospital bills off your plate. We go to work while your job is to heal.
Rider Justice is the legal team you need when the absolute worst happens on the road.
Or dial (877) 562-9425
Scott O’Sullivan is the founder of Rider Justice. He has been a Colorado personal injury attorney for over 25 years and he has started to see an increase in crashes that ruin overland and camping equipment. Scott is also an avid outdoorsman, so he knows exactly how much of an investment it takes to make your overland and camping dreams come true. That’s why this page is dedicated solely to people who own Toyota 4Runners, which is one of the most popular overlanding vehicles in North America. Scott wants to help you protect your investment!
“I’m on a mission to achieve two things: 1) Fight for 4Runner owners who have been hit by another driver so they get all the compensation they’re owed, and 2) Make sure 4Runner owners have the right insurance for all that gear so they don’t lose it all in an accident. 4Runner owners are creative geniuses when it comes to outfitting their vehicles for adventure. Solar showers, beer fridges, awnings, smokers, water heaters… the investment is tremendous. That’s why it can be devastating when another driver destroys all that gear in a crash. I can help.”
~Scott O’Sullivan, Overlanding Lawyer
How Does Rider Justice Help Toyota 4Runner Owners After a Crash?
So clearly, we get it. This overland compulsion is strong, it’s real, and it’s expensive! When you put this much time and money into a vehicle, and you make plans for many, many 4Runner camping trips, you’re not only invested financially, but also emotionally. This rig is your escape hatch from your crazy life!
Now, imagine if you’re headed out to a big overland adventure and some other driver smacks into you. Odds are, they will not carry enough insurance to replace all of the gear they smashed, plus the damage to your vehicle, and any medical bills you face.
That’s why you need to take one more step before you head out on an overland adventure in your Toyota 4Runner. You need to make sure your vehicle and all that gear are protected by your insurance. (We don’t sell it; we just want you to get the right coverage so that your sweet 4Runner isn’t lost forever after an accident.)
At Rider Justice, we can help you assess whether or not all of your overland equipment and your 4Runner are protected. Also, after an accident, we can help you make sure that you’re getting what you’re owed.
That’s what this page is all about. Specifically, we want to…
- Make sure you call us for help if anyone ever crashes into your 4Runner. We can help you get what you’re owed and,
- Make sure you have enough insurance coverage to take care of yourself if you’re ever in a Colorado 4Runner accident.
What Should I Do After a Toyota 4Runner Accident in Colorado?
Rider Justice helps 4Runner owners who have had their rigs wrecked in a crash with another driver. Maybe you were headed out to your next big adventure and got sideswiped in an intersection as you headed west. Or you were on your way home from a big 4Runner trip, dirt everywhere, and another driver blew a stop sign, ruining your day… and your rRunner. We are the personal injury attorneys you want on your side because we understand the value of your rig and your lifestyle.
But what you do in the moments after a 4Runner crash in Colorado can make or break the result of your personal injury case. Here are some tips for things to do at the scene of your crash.
- Call the police: You need the police report to prove that the other driver was at fault.
- Take pictures of the scene: Use your cell phone to document the scene. Take pictures of your car, the other driver’s car, the intersection, debris, skid marks… anything that can help tell the story of the other driver’s negligence.
- Ask for witness statements: Ask witnesses for their names and contact information. We can use their statements to make your case stronger. You can also use your cell phone to get video statements from the witnesses.
- Seek medical attention: If you are hurt, go to the hospital. Even if you think it’s a “minor tweak.” And don’t walk around telling people you’re fine. We’ve seen too many accident victims ignore minor symptoms on the day of a crash, only to wake up the next day with serious pain. Get care.
- Give YOUR health insurance to the hospital: Demand that the hospital take your healthcare insurance. We know it seems like the other driver should be paying your medical bills (and ultimately they might!), but in the interim, you must use your own. We have seen hospital billing departments do some underhanded things when they learn that victims have been in a crash. They will do everything in their power to bill whoever can pay them the most. This is really complicated, but in a nutshell: Just give them your own healthcare and we can fight for proper billing once you sign with us.
- Don’t post anything on social media: So many cases have been destroyed by social media. Just don’t post anything. Period.
- Don’t talk to the other driver’s insurance company until you talk to a personal injury attorney: The insurance companies are not on your side. Even if you never sign up with a Colorado personal injury attorney, at least get some free advice before you talk to anyone. We are here to chat through your accident for a free consultation: (877) 562-9425.
What Insurance Do I Need for My Toyota 4Runner Camping and Overlanding Gear?
Toyota 4Runner camping in Colorado is huge! It is not uncommon for 4Runner owners to invest as much or more into their overlanding gear for their 4Runner than in the 4Runner itself! (It’s like that old Colorado joke about the $5,000 bike strapped to the $2,000 car.) So, while you may have insured your Toyota 4Runner when you got it, have you thought about how much money you’ve attached to the 4Runner, or the value of everything you load into the Toyota 4Runner every time you head out on an overlanding or camping trip?
Have you thought about how much money you’d lose if someone else hits your 4Runner? What if that person doesn’t have enough coverage to replace all those toys? Most people in Colorado carry the minimum amount of insurance: $25,000. Some drive illegally with none at all. What would you do if your Toyota 4Runner was crashed, and the vehicle and all that gear was destroyed? (Not to mention if you get hurt.)
We have put together an extensive Q&A for the Colorado overlanding community to help you make sure that all your gear is covered in case of an accident.
Did another driver hit your 4Runner?
Contact Rider Justice immediately for help. We are attorneys who specialize in helping the overlanding and camping community recover their losses after an accident. Call (877) 562-9425
Insurance Checklist for Toyota 4Runner Camping and Overlanding
Here is a checklist to help make sure that you’re covered properly when you head out on your next overland adventure:
- Comprehensive and Collision: Make sure that you have enough to cover the true value of your vehicle. (i.e. If you bought an old 4Runner for $4,000 but added $10,000 worth of equipment to it, you need enough insurance for a $14,000 vehicle.)
- Liability: Purchase a minimum of $250,000.
- Underinsured Motorist (UIM): Purchase a minimum of $250,000.
- Umbrella policies on top of the liability and UIM policies for your vehicle: If you own a home, you probably need a minimum of $1.25 million in coverage.
- Content coverage on your renter’s or homeowner’s insurance: This is for all of the gear you load into your vehicle (think: coolers, kayaks, drones). As soon as it leaves your home, only 10% of your total content coverage applies. So, you need to increase your coverage so that you get 100% of the value. For example, if you put $7,000 worth of gear into your vehicle, you will need over $70,000 of content coverage on your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance.
For a more in-depth understanding of these types of insurance, read “Adventure Derailed.”
Best Toyota 4Runner Roads in Colorado
- Ouray/Telluride: Want a bit of 4Runner eye candy? Check out this YouTube video posted by Jim and Erin Rose. Their 2018 Toyota 4Runner climbs rock walls, grips through sand, and clears some major undercarriage threats. In general, the area surrounding Ouray and Telluride is fantastic for 4-wheel adventures, including fun rides to Bridal Veil Falls, Alta Lakes, and Black Bear Pass.
- Phantom Canyon Road: Catch this road six miles east of Canon City, heading north on Hwy 67. Phantom Canyon is unpaved and features steep drop-offs, one-lane stretches, tunnels carved through rock walls, and lots of twists and turns. The road drops you off in Victor, an old Colorado mining town.
- Hardscrabble Park: The name says it all! This epic ride between Gypsum and Eagle has over 3,000 feet of elevation change over several miles of singletrack roads and twisty, curvy climbs. Check to make sure the road is open before heading out because it’s closed during the snowy season.
If you’ve been in an accident after camping, or on your way to your next Toyota 4Runner camping trip, contact us for help.
Your rig, your gear, and your medical bills may all be covered. Call (877) 562-9425
You love overlanding in your 4Runner because you want less stress in your life. Don’t let an accident in your Toyota 4Runner cause you more stress! Contact Rider Justice for a free chat and free advice. We can help you protect your 4Runner camping dreams for years to come, so you sleep like a baby under those stars.